and Technical Information Sources
Universal Jeep Model CJ-3B
- G.V.W. 3500 lbs. (1587.5 kg)
- Curb weight: 2243 lbs (1017.4 kg) (2418 lbs. on M606).
- Overall length: 129-29/32 in. (3.30 m)
- Overall width: 68-7/8 in. (175 cm)
- Overall height (top of windshield): 66-1/4 in. (169 cm.)
- Tread front and rear: 48-7/16 in. (123 cm)
- Wheelbase: 80 in. (203 cm.)
- Front / Rear Overhang: 20.59 in. / 22.31 in.
- Tailgate: 36 in. Wide x 19.25 in. High
- Ground Clearance: 8 in. (20.3 cm)
- Load Space: 32 in. x 52.315 in. x 14.125 in.
See CJ-3B Drawings for more dimensions.
- Engine: "Hurricane" F-head, 134 cu.in. (2.2 liter), 4 cylinders
- Cooling system capacity 11 qt. (10.4 ltr.) (12 qt. with heater)
- Electricity: Battery 50 Amp. Hour 12 volt, Generator 35 Amp.
- Front axle: Dana/Spicer 25, 27 or 27A, Full-floating hypoid, Ratio: 4.27:1 (5.38:1 optional)
- Rear axle: Dana/Spicer 44, Semi-floating hypoid, Ratio: 4.27:1 (5.38:1 optional)
- Brakes: Hydraulic, 9 in. drum diameter x 1.75 in., 117.8 sq. in. braking area.
- Clutch: 8.5 in. Auborn or Rockford single dry plate with torsional damping, 72 sq. in. area. (Optional Auborn single dry plate, 9.25 in. dia. )
- Transfer case: Spicer 18, 2 speeds, 1.00:1 and 2.46:1 (26 tooth input gear and 1-1/8 in. intermediate shaft up to serial number 54-12506; 29 tooth input gear and 1-1/4 in. intermediate shaft after serial number 54-12506)
- Transmission: Warner T-90 3-speed syncromesh, Ratios: 1st-3.339:1 (or 2.798:1), 2nd-1.551:1, 3rd- 1.00:1, Reverse-3.798:1
The plate found on the passenger side of the dashboard lists maximum speeds for all gears. Reproduction plates in various styles are available from www.dataplates4u.com.
- Frame: Heavy steel channel sides, 4.125 in. depth x 1.937 in. width, with 6 cross members (possibly five on early models). Length 122.656 in.
- Fuel tank 10-1/2 gallons (38.75 ltr.)
- Shock absorbers: Telescopic hydraulic. Monroe, 10.75 in. dia. double acting.
- Springs: Semi-elliptical leaf type. Front: 36 1/4 in. x 1 3/4 in., 10 leaves, Rate 260 lb./in. Rear: 42 in. x 1 3/4 in., 9 leaves, Rate 190 lb./in. (Optional 11-leaf Heavy-Duty, Spring Rate: 225 lb./in.), (10 leaves, Rate 400 lb./in. on some M606 models).
- Steering: Cam and lever, overall ratio 17.9 to 1 (Ross Model T-12 with 14-12:1 ratio on early models)
- Tires: 6.00x16: 4 ply (7.00x15 optional, also 7.00x16 on military M606 version)
- Wheels: Kelsey-Hayes 4.50x16 inch, 5 stud
Ammeter, Heat Indicator Gauge, Speedometer, Oil Pressure Gauge, Fuel Level Gauge. The small speedometer (similar to the CJ-2A and CJ-3A) used in early models was manufactured by King-Seeley (KS). An Auto-Lite unit was used in Jeeps that registered in kilometers.
Starting as early as serial number 57348-34422 in the 1957 model year, a new larger speedometer/instrument cluster was used. Through serial number 57348-35521 it was a King-Seeley, and begining with 35522 there were Stewart-Warner (SW) units in 6 and 12-volt, and miles and kilometers.
For more details on part numberss and applications for KS and SW instruments according to serial number, see these pages of the 1962 Jeep Universal Parts List (100K JPEG):
page 77 (200K JPEG)
page 78 (120K JPEG)
page 79 (130K JPEG)
page 80 (100K JPEG).
Compared to Other Jeeps
(From Jeep vehicles and equipment, Willys Form #W-992-5)
The above information comes from the Haynes manual (Jeep CJ:1949 thru 1986), the Chilton manual (Jeep: 1945 to1987), and the Kaiser Jeep Universal Service Manual (1965).
See the CJ3B Bookshelf for other useful books.
See Specs and Tech Tips on CJ3B.info, and the CJ-3B Bulletin Board for answers to questions.
JeepBook.com has a variety of original Jeep manuals and literature.
Reprints of Parts, Service and Owner's Manuals are available from Original Reproductions.
Download Parts and Service Manuals at Willys Manuals.
Visit CJ3B.info on Facebook.
CJ3B Home | Contents | Search | Links |Bulletin Board
Last updated 19 May 2017 by Derek Redmond email@example.com
All content not credited and previously copyright, is copyright Derek Redmond